Updated: 7 days ago
There is a shift in Workplace Design occuring.
That will determine winners and losers.
Workplaces that win are productive enabling businesses to attract and retain talent.
Vendors that are myopic and do not see the future, will wither and die.
Vendors that succeed because they were ready, who will thrive at the expense of their peers.
Fig 1 - What Workplace Design will look like in forward thinking companies.
In previous blogs we discussed how the integrated workplace could be crafted.
Today it's about how to deliver it in one solid plan.
The plan has Four stages and we will superficially cover them all to point towards "the how" to deliver a workplace that at its heart holds two things dear:
- A workplace that delivers a different experience
- A workplace that is efficient
Before we do that it is sensible to ask "why are we doing this?"
- Those that deliver the connected workplace will attract the best talent.
- They will stand out from other businesses, right from the 1st impression.
- Their processes will be seamless and intuitive.
- Experiences that the young will just consider bizarre, will have been removed.
- They will be at the forefront of the workplace innovation.
- Fundamentally making the workplace a desirable collaboration place.
- They will address the issue of "why would I travel to get here!"
- They will respect if you need only some of a person's diary, your decision to attend virtually.
- They will recognise the responsibility to the planet, to conserve resources.
- They will respect people's time taken, "to get to the workplace."
- And recognise, the workplace experience starts from when you step out of your home.
- Not when you walk in the reception doorway!
- That approach, will see you get the best people, who perform 25% better than peers.
- Who deliver revenue and margin growth rates that are faster than your industry peers.
- If you fail you will join the quick corporate casualty list
Mindful 25 years ago the average life of a corporation in the S&P 500 was
- 81 years
- Today, its 16 years
These points are derived from Deloitte's Global Human Capital Reports, years 2013-2019
This area splits into three areas:
- Process efficiency
- Asset efficiency
- Energy Efficiency
By taking an efficiency measure at the heart of workplace design and delivery you enable yourself to be more ambitious.
Here is why?
The Return on investment you get, if designed correctly, are not subjective, they are measurable and quantifiable.
As such you can set monetary objectives and deliverables that are hard cash impacts.
Milestones you'll deliver on the journey, not spreadsheet targets in a business case to get sign off that never materialise, hard cash savings arriving day 1.
This compliments the workplace experience goals however in the example we will use it goes further and delivers cash savings too.
- less touchpoints in processes
- shorter process for the end user because the whole customer journey was thought through from end to end.
- Be they Capex or Opex expense the assets like:
You would like to have hard data that delivers insight and changes you can effect that drives their usage and processes, that make their utilisation more effective.
You will therefore sweat the assets and get a far better return.
This is the key, you will demonstrably be able to cut energy consumption and defend its use.
You will be able to quantify the energy saved through your design and delivery.
We will show you how!
We will use one example of a Visitor Management process that is designed properly to illustrate the whole journey.
- Through the 4 stages
- Delivering a workplace Experience
- Enhanced Efficiencies that are tangible
- Some that could even save lives
Fig 2 - Organising a meeting what that would look like
The Old Way
You book your meeting in outlook - the visitor knows the time and room.
The Visitor has the job of finding where you are.
Reception may or may not know if they are coming.
The Lottery of arriving at the right place 1st time, means they design in failure to the journey planning, leaving earlier than required.
They get up early, they travel to the place, they find out if you told reception they were coming.
Reception ring the host and often leave a message or email the host.
The reception is busy, the only data is in a book or Ipad, about who came into the building.
"What's wrong with this? It's how we always do it?"
The New Way
You design the perfect journey end to end - for the visitor experience of at least "WOW this works" and "Somebody thought this though"
The outlook booking for the meeting has a number of people attending, who don't share the same email domain:
The two visitors are captured in your meeting room management system.
That systems has some rules that say hey we have two visitors coming in tomorrow at shortly before this time!
The room management systems sends the visitor details to the visitor management system, which in turn spits out an invite to the visitor or guest.
Fig 3 Top half of invite, AMP or mobile friendly
How to get there! Yipee - the address, a map, and add to calendar, I'm late process, all Branded!
Fig 4 Part 2 of the Invite
My host details!
I can get him instantly by phone or SMS.
A bar code that when scanned at reception tells my host i'm here by email and SMS.
The scan pulls up my details and ask‘s me to confirm who i am, answer some security or pandemic questions.
The barcode also gets me through the security barrier, so I can declutter reception quickly.
I'm in the building, on my way,arriving at the meeting, on time.
(I'm stopping there in the design ignoring wayfinding to the room for a later blog)
What's different in the workplace experience?
The entire experience is de-risked.
The first impression is amazing.
The journey was designed properly!
The visitor, the receptionist, host all had a better workplace Experience
The journey to the building took less time:
- less time to get there, I didn't get lost.
- less time to plan, no checking addresses and google maps.
The arrival was transformed:
- No risk of "did I get pre registered at reception?"
- I checked in with a simple scan of a barcode on the invite.
- The host was auto notified, both by email & SMS.
- I could, if it was enabled, even scan the barcode through the security barriers.
The reception process was flawless
However, did I need 6 receptionist’s, on a fraction over minimum wage?
Short answer - No
Hard to see, however, if I designed the process properly my room and desk booking system would feed the building's Schneider (example) smart building system:
- The smart connector between by room and desk booking system and the smart building controls would:
- alter the buildings heating, based on visitor numbers expected.
- know the rooms that were being used and heat them just in time.
I know what I want and how the solution works in Stage 1 .
A connected Outlook , Booking System & Visitor Management System integrated process.
Stage 2 I'd have wayfinding inside the building linked to sensors / beacons / wifi.
Stage 3 I'd couple my smart building system to the room and desk bookings system to save energy, however, i wouldn't tell the room booking vendor that otherwise they'd see their real value and not discount quite so much!
1. Microsoft Outlook and my Booking System must synch with Exchange - in real time.
- if the Booking System is used as the booking route, it must synch with Outlook via Exchange.
- if Outlook is used as the booking route, its synch's with the Booking System via Exchange.
2. The Booking System must be integrated with the Visitor Management system.
- The host and guest details from the booking system, must flow through to the visitor management system.
3. The visitor management system must be capable of:
- issuing branded visitor emails with all the instructions to get to the building and the meeting host
- the bar code must be capable of scanned "sign in" recognition, to enhance the reception check in process and reduce the time it takes to seconds.
- the barcode must work with our building security system or the landlords security system.
4. Data from The Room and Desk Booking solution, must populate a workspace management dashboard.
- visitor data and who they met and where they met must be recoverable from the data.
- assigned desk seating data and who sat in which seat when, must be available.
- hot desk booking data must be available as well as, who sat in which seat?
5. Visitor Reception staffing levels must be reset and new job descriptions delivered and trained in.
6. Visitor Data Requirements must be specified beyond check in data:
- What questions do the security need answering?
- What questions are required by HR for health and safety?
7. A Management dashboard that feeds in real time:
- Sensor data
- Booking data
- Visitor data
Surfacing a set of dashboards for both:
- managing KPI performance
- delivering insight as to what's working inside set parameters and what's outside?
1. Room and desk booking that have a real time synch with Microsoft Exchange becomes crucial
- along with the standard requirements for these systems can they integrate with
- the visitor management system to pass host and guest details
- has a database extract or history API to feed the dashboard KPI and Insight reporting system
- and in Phase 2 the way finding URL's for desks and rooms, for the Map based way finding solution.
2. We need a Visitor Management system that:
- Integrates with Room and Desk booking vendors.
- That feeds data to the reporting and insight system.
This we can cover, but a key step is to see working demonstrations of the Integrations before contracts are signed.
Avoiding Slide ware sales techniques and disappointment, is key.
In essence we have just walked through a Microsoft Digital Transformation split into its component parts
- Microsoft Workplace Experience
- Microsoft Workplace Efficiency
Glossary of Terms and meanings
Microsoft office 365 enhanced
Condeco extends office 365 so that simplistic bookers can find rooms and their characteristics easily.
The safe workplace o365 enhanced
Condeco delivers a safe workplace through its social distancing of meeting room seats and desk spacing and sanitisation features.
The safe workplace office 365 enhanced
The safe workplace with distancing and sanitisation can be added to office 365 via the add-in.
Microsoft workplaces on demand,
Condeco adds desk and room booking on demand to office 365.
Microsoft smart workplace
We believe Condeco enhances Microsoft to deliver a smart workplace through its features and their benefits and their partner integrations.
A safe Microsoft enhanced workplace
Condeco enable the Microsoft productivity suite to deliver a safer workplace.
Microsoft workplace experience
Condeco and their partners help deliver a better Microsoft powered workplace experience with more efficient processes.
Workplace experience re-engineering
Condeco and their partners enable a re-engineered workplace to be delivered using technology to deliver a digital workplace.
Microsoft workplace efficiency
Condeco and its partners enable the more efficient processes to be delivered by enhancing Microsoft's core productivity suite Outlook.
Microsoft digital transformation
Those looking to digitally transform the workplace can do so extending and enhancing Microsoft.
Microsoft safe check-in
VPOD an Proxyclick extend Condeco and Microsoft to deliver a safe check-in through faster processes and less congested reception areas.
Microsoft touchless check-in
Proxyclick and Condeco deliver through the Integration with Condeco the touchless check-in to Microsoft customers.
Microsoft express check-in
Proxyclick and Condeco deliver through the Integration with Condeco the express check-in using their invites and QR codes for Microsoft customers.
The safe workplace
Condeco enable the safe workplace with their core desk and room products and their integrations with partners like VPOD and Proxyclick.
The safe workplace assigned seats
Assigned or bookable seats ensure no one is allowed to just sit where they like and not safe distance, without the use of tape.
The safe workplace hot desk
This is now delivered through the Condeco desk booking, safe spacing and sanitisation feature.
The safe workplace meeting rooms
delivered by using Condeco to safe distance seats and sanitise the rooms with its vendor management feature queuing work orders to cleaning vendors.
The safe workplace visitor management
Delivered Through the Condeco VPOD and Proxyclick integrations.
Covid-19 back to the workplace,
Term for recovery to the workplace post lockdown but prior to vaccination.
Safe workplace distancing
Term used for Meeting Room and Desk seating efficient 2 metre spacing delivered using the desk and room booking Condeco APP.
Safe reception distancing
Delivered by decongesting the reception area with invites delivered to visitors with QR codes, enable pre registration, touchless and express check-in. This decongests reception areas using the Condeco VPOD and Proxyclick check-in.
Desk booking check-list
Complying with the Covid back to workplace and call centre guidelines.
Mobile and Web booking
delivery of safe booking through own device booking, removing surfaces that you need to touch and sanitise.
Desk status free busy
delivered by the Condeco APP so the desk booker knows what's free, busy and available, whilst also seeing safe distancing from the floor plan.
Desk status unavailable sanitisation required
delivered by the Condeco APP when the desk is finished with but suspended from use requiring sanitisation and release.
Desk vendor message cleaning list
Delivered through the desk booking vendor management module.
Vendor change status
Delivered by the Condeco APP when the cleaning or catering vendor change the status of an order.
Desk GPS check-in
Delivered by The Condeco desk booking APP that delivers touchless check-in to your desk through the GPS HQ association triggered by your mobile device.
Desk GPS checkout
Delivered when a user leaves the building for a certain time, checking them out of the desk.
Desk integration Vpod
New module delivered by VPOD's desk integration with Condeco. Enables Desk booking from VPOD.
Delivered by VPOD and its integration to Condeco
Desk booking integration
VPOD feature enabling desks to be booked using the VGreet kiosks, useful for Post Covid or unscheduled bookings.
Achieved with The Condeco App deploying safe distancing of desks and room seats and blocking out other seats to demonstrate safe distancing.
Desk spacing transparency
Delivers safe distancing by blocking out desks in between, opposite each other and deploying that on the booking app to deliver psychological safety to the desk booker.
Desk booking day of week phasing
Delivered by the Condeco app allowing day of the week booking if you've a phased use desk policy.
Desk booking close area.
Delivered by the Condeco APP which allows areas or zones to be closed and auto-cancels forward bookings pushing notifications to those that have booked to rebook. For more details, we are happy to help